Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Updates

Kim Smith here, trying to be first on the team with a post. Where to begin. It took forever and a day to get back home from Europe. Literally and figuratively. I think we had a pretty productive Euro camp. Anyone who saw us play there knows we are on the right track. We installed a new offense last summer. It was a difficult adjustment last summer, we struggled at times, but now we look pretty good with it. More comfortable I guess. Overall I think we spent almost a month over there. Got a bit accomplished. It was good in that we now know where we stand against some of Europe's best. Our team has a lot of really big goals right now.

Had our good-byes in Toronto before everyone went their own direction. I was able to catch game 7 of the Stanley Cup. For everyone out there- I am a born and raised proud BC girl and I love my Canucks. It was difficult with time changes and practice/games to watch much of it live, but on our downtime I was scouring the internet for Cup updates. This one was really hard to take though. Mainly for two reasons. One I was disappointed to see rioters in the streets get most of the post game press. Seriously even as a professional athlete, it is just a game. Of all the things to take to the streets about and tear up my city, these people choose a hockey game. Not cool. And what happens when people from all over turn on their tvs and see. Dumb riots. And two, my fiance is from New England and a Bruins fan. we normally don't have any heated matchups and we both root for each others teams. Lets just say he's being a snot about it. He even tried to take me to their victory parade. Totally not cool.

Anyways took a week off to let the body catch up. Started training again this week. I see the NBA draft is this week. It's weird. I love watching it, I think it's great but the entire time I think about my WNBA draft experience and how difficult it was. It's been a while now (2006) but I was lucky enough to be invited to attend. Even though I had my coaches, friends and some family there it was one of the most nerve racking days of my life. I look back and laugh now, but I was a wreck the entire time. It all turned out well. I was even a first round pick with one of my Canadian teammates but I can't begin to tell you how much deodorant I went through that week.

Next camp is a few weeks away back out in BC. We will try and get all the girls to post during the break. Keep checking in. For those slackers who do not post there will be some form of public humiliation so get on it! If any readers have any good ideas of what that should be please let me know, we will record it and post it!


No comments:

Post a Comment