Friday, December 2, 2011

Happy December!

Hello fans!
Kim Smith here going to give you a little update on my life since qualifiers. I choose not to go overseas right away... my body is old! It has taken me a few years to realize that I maybe can't play year round at a high level. I want to do whatever I need to do to be ready for June 25th. Speaking of playing while you are older I ran into some amazing ballers today at the gym. A team of 8 ladies all over 70 running an early Friday morning practice. It was quite a treat to watch them play a little 3 on 3, they played hard I even saw a little blood from some scratches! They placed 6th in their age group at nationals last year and are training for them again this year. They get together every Friday morning for practices. They were a pretty amazing group of women who grew up before title nine and were never afforded the privileges we have become accustomed to. They love playing the game and their enthusiasm was quite contagious.

The first month following qualifiers I stayed away from the gym. It is something I wish I would have done when I was younger but I was pretty crazy back then and my college season and summer season always seemed to overlap. I have found it gives my body a good chance to heal and getting away mentally is also a nice perk. Of course when you are pretty active taking a full month off is near impossible. I found myself stealing bikes from family and friends and going on long bike rides or taking our dog on a hike. Come mid November I couldn't wait to get back in the gym and start working on my game again.
Thanks for checking back with the blog there should be an update from all my teammates so keep hitting up the site to hear all about our individual paths to June 25th!
GO CANADA!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Kim
    I split time between England and the Fraser Valley and hope to get tickets to see you and Teresa play in London!
    Don Button
    retired Record editor

    ReplyDelete