Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bonjour from Montreal!

This is Lizanne here giving all of our amazing supporters an update from Canada's coolest city! I spent the first part of our time home recovering from my unfortunate pedicure injury (a crazy lady sliced off a chunk of my foot while in Spain), but all seems to be good now thanks to my support crew here at home. Training has been going really well; it is always nice to get some time where you can really get in the gym on your own. The people I train with are always changing up my programs and giving me all kinds of new things to work on based on how I am moving and what needs to get better/stronger/quicker. So my training is always interesting and a lot of fun.

Montreal is a great city to be in during the summertime; there is always some kind of festival going on so the city is always full of people and there is always something to do. I have been able to catch up with a lot of friends and spend quite a bit of time with my family which has been really nice. Similar to Ontario, Montreal is also really famous for the cottage country, and I have been able to get up and spend some time at my cottage an hour north of the city. I come from a huge family; my mom is one of 8 kids (and each of her brothers and sisters have a few kids each), so the cottage is our big meeting place during the summer, so for the first time in a while I have been able to see almost everyone.

One of the highlights of my time at home was that I was able to be a part of the Montreal Community Cares Awards where they highlight the amazing work that people and groups are doing in the community. My former coach, Trevor Williams (also a former national team member), received an award for his dedication to kids in the community via his coaching and the work of his kids foundation. It was really special for me because I was asked to present his award and I was able to really thank him for the impact he has had on my life over the last 15 years. I am a product of various community groups here in Montreal and it made me really proud to show them that all of their work and support has helped me get to where we are now.

Like everyone else, I am excited for camp to get ready to beat up on all the other countries so we can get to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment